Sunday, May 11, 2014

The News and its Accuracy with Detroit


When it comes to Detroit everyone sees a lot of negative and with that can come fear. When I was little I thought that it was a scary, creepy, and evil place. My cousin, who lives in Kentucky, said to me, "So, you live in metro Detroit? Why don't you just say Detroit? That's basically where you live". I was offended because of how bad people think it is; I would never live in a place like that, but then again it isn't that terrible.

It took until I was there for a hockey game that I realized that Detroit isn't so bad it actually seems fun and with all the amazing food there it truly isn't that awful. The area I live in is known as Metro Detroit and this has always been my home. There is a lot I can do around here for fun such as; going to the Metro Parks that have many activities of their own in them, going to the movies, going to Detroit for all the sports events or ice skating (in the winter), or just walking to Dairy Queen. I love this place and a majority of the people in it. The thing I enjoy the most is hanging out with my friends and family doing the strangest things.

With good there is always some bad. The new never fails to remind me of this it such as how Kwame Kilpatrick robbed a lot of our tax dollars; along with him were many people stealing from the system and things like this I think the new is somewhat on track (not as much lying) as one many think. They can’t bend the truth when it is facts, however I have seen them not tell us the entire facts. They told a story about how a father stole his child from its mother and then the mom was found dead in her minivan in a river what they neglected to mention is that she was dating a cerial rapist and he was on the run from the cops, I found this out when I watched BBC new not my local station and that alone is unsettling.

The story I truly think the new couldn’t get their things straight happen right at my highschool. When I was a senior (last year) a girl committed suicide and the new claimed it was from bullying. She had sex with a guy and her mother found out, so the mother was going to sue him for statutory rape but when she went to the new she said that the guy raped her daughter and everyone at the highschool was bullying her, which wasn’t true. Before they could finish the trial she committed suicide and my town was looked at as a terrible place where we bullied a girl to her braking point. I can’t be naïve and say there wasn’t bullying but clearly she had a lot of other things that were putting pressure on her. The story is sad regardlous because she didn’t see a way out besides suicide and the news couldn’t even give her peace by telling her true story.

With that example I wonder how often they do twist a story for it attract more viewers. I can’t say the news only posts these negative things. They do tell us good things that communities are doing such as; food drives, parades, holidays, and good recipes. It seems like people don’t think of the good when they are thinking of the news because the bad stories are so horrific that they shine in a person’s memory. Detroit does have bad things that happen in it but if we took out Detroit we would be bummed because there are still fun things and amazing memories for us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment