Friday, July 11, 2014

Defining Your Community

My Home Town Community
I first became a part of this community when I was in middle school and moved to New Boston. It was completely different than where I was before, but after being there for a few weeks and going to school I felt more involved. Eventually I started donating blood at drives and going to all the cute festivals and parades they have. It seams clear when someone isn't a part of this group of people when they don't know the good food places there like Blue Sky (the best ice cream place ever) and Captain Nemo's (which has amazing sandwiches). Everyone goes to the football games here and no one will ever really get to know you if you don't go. Many people here are religious and go to church at least on Sunday. For a while I wasn't accepted here when my peers found out I didn't go to church...ever. If you stop going to community events and helping a neighbor in need you will stop being a part of the community and no one will really say anything to you. The people here are nice one you start talking to them I wouldn't say it's a closed community, but its getting close to being one.


Karate Community
This community is all the people in karate with me and have been there for a while. When I first started here I wasn't a part of it, in order for me to be a part of it I had to go to tournament and fundraising events and eventually people started to know who my father and I are. In order to stay in this group you really have to volunteer your time to helping people out by teacher assisting in running events and trying out for the teams (world team, demo team, etc.) to keep up with being in the community. It is easy to get booted out of the community because if you disagree with the people in charge it isn't going to go over well for you. Once you continuously disagree with your instructors and don't show up for events you are moved out of the group. You might still go to karate but that doesn't make you a part of the community. This one is sometimes a balancing act for individuals. Don't get me wrong though I do like being in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment